Saturday, December 15, 2012

tragedy

I have been meaning to post for the last couple of weeks, but after yesterdays shootings at Newtown Ct everything I wanted to post seems not to matter. I just can not get this tragic event off of my mind. How can one even begin to wrap their mind around such a travesty? All I could think about during the night were the empty beds, the Christmas presents under the trees that would never be opened, the parents who would never get to hold their babies again, the siblings who would never see their brothers/ sisters again, the parents that waited and waited and waited yesterday at the fire station only to be told that there would be no reunion with their sweet children. How does someone go on functioning? How does the entire TOWN of people recover? These kids were just babies and the epitome of innocence. How does a 5 year old even have a clue what to do when they see a gunman shooting and killing their classmates? How do you EVER send your kid back to school? How do you take care of their psychological needs? How do you prevent suicides years from now due to this event? Their lives are changed FOREVER. Christmas will be ruined FOREVER for the people of this town.

People posted on facebook yesterday that this was an act of pure evil and I have to agree. However, was this 20 year old evil when he was born? Was he evil when HE was in kindergarten? I don't think so. What happened to this young man to cause him to commit such an act? I don't know. I have no answers. I feel strongly that there are some serious issues with people's moral compasses these days. I feel strongly that we need prayer back in school. Years ago the 10 commandments were posted on school walls. At least if kids weren't getting their souls nurtured by their parents ( by taking them to church or believing in SOME higher power) they could get some type of nourishment at school. If parents aren't going to teach their children right from wrong
and nourish their souls, then it should be done at school. Some people feel this is a gun control issue and I have to disagree. Evil is Evil is Evil. I am not a supporter of guns, but guns don't kill people- people kill people. If they want to kill then they will find a way- whether it be a homemade bomb, a knife, a box cutter, etc... Guns are not the problem- PEOPLE are the problem.

Another thing that has been on my mind is how does a mother NOT know or see ANY type of clue that your 20 year old son is capable of such an act? I am in no way  blaming the mother, but wouldn't it be obvious that your child is at least CAPABLE of  mass murder?

Today I am deeply saddened and pray for the people of  Newtown. May God wrap his arms around them and provide comfort.

No comments: