Monday, March 28, 2011

unplugged Friday part 3, flower fields, and larvae

This weeks "unplugged Friday" was the most challenging one yet! It was raining here so not only were we not able to go to the zoo, Seaworld, etc..., but we weren't even able to go out and play. Oh my! Being stuck inside with no t.v. = meltdown city for one 3 year old. I planned lots of fun activities but it just wasn't enough. I eventually just gave in and let Aidan watch some t.v. when it was time for his "rest and quiet time" and before bedtime. After all it is ME giving up the computer and t.v. on Fridays and NOT Aidan. I wanted him to be part of it because I thought it would be a good time to spend some great quality time together. It is also a goal to get the t.v. watching time down to 5 hours a week. Don't get me wrong, Aidan just doesn't sit and watch t.v. for hour upon hour but he watches it more than I prefer. I can't WAIT until the weather finally warms up and we can spend a majority of our day outside playing. It is supposed to be close to 80 later in the week. Yippeee!!!!! Some things we did this week for "unplugged Friday" were playing with water color paint and ice cubes, making mini pizzas for lunch and later cupcakes, playing board games, reading books, playing cars and trains, getting in some physical therapy, and playing some educational games. :) Over all it was a good day minus the meltdowns. :) On Saturday we went to the flower fields in Carlsbad. They were having "kids day". I was back and forth all day about going because the weather was still yucky. Finally at 3oclock I just decided to jump in the car and go. I'm glad we did because it was really fun! Even though it was a tad on the chilly side we still had a good time. I plan on taking mom there next month when she visits. They are having an arts and crafts festival and I just LOVE me a good arts festival. lol! Plus the flowers should be in FULL bloom by then and really beautiful! Today we got our "live butterfly larvae" in the mail aka caterpillars. Aidan and I are going to be growing butterflies over the next month. I am excited to watch them grow and change from caterpillars to butterflies. Right now they are really tiny but it shouldnt be long until they grow much bigger. :) Now for some pics... One thing we did on UF is experiment with mixing water color paint in ice cubes and water.... The end product was of course black.... Aidan then used a slotted spoon to transfer the ice cubes from one container to another...
He then experimented using tongs to transfer the ice... this was a bit more challenging but I wanted him to work on his fine motor skills.
He then used a dropper to add more water color paint to individual ice cubes and we watched the ice melt throughout the day and watched the colors blend.
Making mini pizzas for lunch...
The Flower Fields...
I know this kid SO needs a haircut! I am waiting for my mom to get here next week. Maybe SHE can have better luck than me getting him a good haircut.


Playing at Santas Playground at the flowerfields.
One of the things we did that day was to go on a tractor ride throughout the fields. If you look behind Aidan you can see the bare fields. They should be in FULL BLOOM by next month. The paper Aidan is holding up is his "passport" he received. They had stations throughout the exhibits where you got your passport stamped. He was really into this and was excited to get all of the stamps. Sadly, we did not get the stamp for station 3 as you had to hike to the top of the fields to get it. Aidan had on rain boots and he was cranky from not having a nap. I wasn't about to listen to him whine the whole way up the hill and the whole way down. No way. If you ask Aidan that is the only thing he remembers from the day "we didn't get number 3" ( insert whine and sad face). lol!
This pic was taken on the tractor ride. These were the part of the fields that WERE in bloom. One of the things they had there that I didn't get any pics of was "sluicing" (sp?) basically it is taking a bucket of dirt and gems and washing all of the dirt away until there are only the gems left. This was his favorite part and he has been playing with his gems since we got home. Rocks are one of Aidans favorite things!
Our butterfly larvae we received today~ stay tuned for more pics of our science project!

No comments: