Thursday, September 15, 2011

Blessing Bags



I got this idea from a friend on facebook the other day and I love it. I don't know about you but I always feel conflicted when I see a homeless person begging for money. On the one hand I think "oh do they really need the money or do they have a nicer car than mine parked around the corner" and " what are they going to do with the money I give them?" do they have a drug or alcohol problem? I don't want to be an enabler. On the other hand I know that times are tough right now and God tells us to take care of those less fortunate. There have been a handful of times that I have actually stopped and given people money. My husband often gives them money. Anyway, I thought this idea was a perfect solution to my problem. This is the Blessing Bag. Easy to make and so useful for the receiver! These are ziploc bags full of every day items that could aid a person if they were truly homeless. You make them and keep them in your car. I made 3 and here is what I put in each of mine...



-a kids juice box



-deodorant


-a tooth brush and tooth paste



-soap and a wash cloth (put in a separate ziploc bag inside of the larger one so everything doesn't taste like soap)



-socks



-snacks- peanut butter and crackers, pretzels and cheese, m and m's, applesauce and a spoon



- bandaids



-gum



-hand wipes



-chap stick



-a deck of cards ( for entertainment purposes)



-a pack of kleenex



-four quarters so they can either make a phone call , get a cup of coffee, etc...



-and most importantly an encouraging note with some scripture letting them know that someone cares. :)






I went to the dollar store and made enough to make 3. I figure if someone is really homeless this could help them and if not- no biggie. My goal is to make and hand out 3 a month. If I have any left over at the end of the month I will give them to a homeless shelter.






I gave out my first one today as Aidan and I were coming home from getting him ice cream after school. To be honest the man didn't look "that hard up" but who knows maybe it was his blessing today! :) I also love the fact that Aidan helped me make the bags and now he is helping me hand them out. I want him to understand that you should be a giver in life and that you should do things to help others and be a contributor to society on many different levels. :)









No comments: