Sunday, September 8, 2013

1st day of 1st grade and 6 year old checkup

 
School started for us a few weeks ago. It was such a different experience than last year as last year was just a sea of unknowns. Last year was our first year of Montessori at a new school and I was just unsure if we were making the right choice. I felt in my heart that the school was good but wasn't sure how Aidan would do in a Montessori setting. Fast forward one year.... This year I ran the whole range of emotions. I woke up happy and singing to the tune of " Its the most wonderful time of the year" ( kind of like that Target commercial last year where the mom is taking the kids back to school shopping. lol!) I was excited and so was Aidan! As I dropped him off I felt a sense of pride wash over me. He is no longer dropped off at the front door and has to cross the crosswalk by himself. This is kind of a big deal for him and just shows that he is becoming more and more independent and doesn't need ole mom as much anymore. *sniff* As I watched him cross the crosswalk by himself and walk himself to his classroom I began to tear up a little ( nothing like the boo hoo's of last year but tear up none the less). I was happy that he was met with hugs of familiar faces ( no less than hugs from 3 different people :) ) I know that he is in a great school where people know and love him. I know that he will be well looked after and that he will be safe. This in itself is worth its weight in gold. I think it is important to feel confident in the place where your child will be for 6 1/2 hours  a day. I think it is important to feel confident in the adults that are there molding his mind!. I love that he is in a small setting and that virtually all the teachers know him by name. This is comforting.
 
 I  also love that when I had a near panic attack a few weeks before school started  I was able to call the director of the school on her cell phone and she was able to talk me off of the ledge. lol.. I was a little uneasy about this year because it is a big move up for Aidan. He is now in a classroom with 49 other kids grades 1 through 3. There are 5 teachers in the room but I was still concerned that he would be overlooked. He has gone from being one of the oldest kids to being one of the youngest. I was also concerned with the classroom itself. They demolished the building that was to be his room because they are building a brand new building. However it turns out the room he is in now is better than the one that was demolished.
 
So far so good and he comes home from school every day happy and exhausted. I have had 1 mini conference so far with his teacher just to check in to see if he is transitioning ok. She is amazing and has a son that is adopted too! She understands some of Aidan's sensory challenges so I couldn't ask for a better placement!
 
This past week we also had Aidan's 6 year old check up. Everything looks great. He is now 48 1/2 inches tall and weighs 46 pounds. He is in the 92% for height and 50% for weight. At least the boy is consistent. These are the percentiles he has been in since he was born. :)
 
When I grow up I want to be a celebrity! 1st day of 1st grade
 New lunch box for 1st grade
 1st day of preschool, 1st day of kindergarten, and 1st day of 1st grade
 crossing the crosswalk.

No comments: